Holiday vacations are what you make of them. Instructors and students alike count down the moments to when they can close their books, folders, and computers for some much deserved rest and relaxation. There are many opportunities for students over break, from
- Catching up on reading
- Working on internship applications
- Finding a part time job
- Catch up on reading Students, whether you’re catching up on recommended reading from the previous semester, or cracking open a novel for leisure, reading is a great way to keep your mind active over a relaxing winter vacation. Once you receive your book list for Spring semester, you can even get a head start skimming through some of the concepts. (Or if you’ve got literature classes, start thumbing through the first chapters of your readings to get a head start!)
- Begin your summer internship hunt - Believe it or not, many companies begin posting their spring and summer internship openings in the winter. If not, those with an established internship program may at least post the overview of their annual internship recruitment process and winter break is a great time to get a leg up on the competition. Once school gets back in swing, you’ll be bogged down with homework and other responsibilities, so any steps towards your dream internship that you can make now will save you undue stress!
- Work part-time if you plan to shift gears from academic work to a new job, start your part-time job hunt right away to get the most out of your time there. Nearly every retail store begins hiring extra help for the holidays starting in the fall, but don’t fret if you haven’t secured a position just yet. Holiday retail staff fluctuates often as students’ schedules change, so many businesses have job postings up all through the holiday. No matter the job, you’ll pick up skills that will help you in the long run.
- Don’t forget to find time to relax from the stress of another school semester. Make sure you come back in January ready to start fresh. This means spending quality time with friends and family you may not see during the school year, staying healthy, and getting plenty of rest.
So, if you haven’t already, finish up your fall semester strong and sign your lease with us then settle into a much deserved winter break!!